As you deck the halls this holiday season, be fire smart. A small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly.
– Choose a Christmas tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched
– If you have an artificial tree, make sure that it is labeled as fire-retardant
– Make sure that the tree is at least three feet away from heat sources such as fireplaces, candles, or radiators
– Make sure that the tree is not blocking an exit
– Only use lights that are labeled with the certification of an independent testing laboratory
– Always turn off Christmas lights before leaving home or going to bed
More information at National Fire Protection Association